Thursday, October 22, 2009

Helping Hands

I'm not sure if we were supposed to blog about this, but whatev, if not, hopefully I'll get extra credit.
Last week, our university class went to the Helping Hands center in Cookeville. It's pretty much like the food bank that i used to help out at back in Nashville. When we went, we entered a large room stacked high with cans of food and whatnot that were given to families that came by that could not afford to buy food for themselves. When I was younger, I used to go with my mom, and we'd work at the food bank every other wednesday for our church. I think it was good of my mom to get my sisters and I to do that. I used to love it. Whenever a family would come up, I helped fill up a bag of food to give to them, and I would go and buy candy at the store that we would give the kids who came in. I always loved making people happy with food, because food made me happy. I remember one time, though, I had brought in leftover Halloween candy to give the kids, and I handed a girl a bag full of candy. She looked through the candy with a disgusted face and handed a few pieces back to me because she said they were too old or looked like there would be bugs in them. I remember being really sad about that. It is a weird story to remember, but that is one of the main things that i remember from that, and I hate it because it is kind of a bad reflection on the people that are in need. The majority of the people that came into the food bank, though, were very very grateful for what we were doing for them. Some people even gave us Christmas cards during the holidays and stuff. It was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment