Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What the heck...

So in class the other day, the subject of sororities came up. I don't think many people in there know that I'm in one I guess. Someone said, sarcastically, "Well to be in a sorority you have to be smart..." What the heck.. Well first off, I'm going to say that yeah you DO have to be fairly smart to be in a sorority because there is a GPA that you have to maintain, and you have to have a certain amount of library hours if your GPA is not a 4.0. I hate when people automatically stereotype sorority girls as the girls from Legally Blonde. I am in a sorority, and NOOO I am not like that at allllll. I'm like the total opposite of that. Most of my sisters in my sorority are also. I mean, I'm sure that there are some girls that are like that, but there are everywhere. I also hate when people say that when you're in a sorority you "pay for your friends." This is not true at all. Anyways, if you wanted to be friends with people in sororities, you could just talk to them. It's not like we're just friends with ourselves. True, it is a good way to make a lot of friends, but that is not what being in a sorority is all about. We help out the community in so many ways. Our philanthropy is the Ronald McDonald House. We are constantly collecting pop tabs to donate to them, and we have many visits throughout the semester where we prepare a meal for them and interact with some of the kids. All sororities have a philanthropy week. Ours is called diamond heist. Throughout the week, we hold many events that the fraternities participate in to raise money for the RMH. At the end of the week, we host a concert. We are also supposed to have a certain amount of service hours each semester. Being in a sorority is a lot of work, and yes, you DO have to be smart to be in one. ;)

A few of us at Pie-at-a-Pi during diamond heist

No comments:

Post a Comment