Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Amazing Life with Good Friends, and Hands Down it is an Adventure!

Throughout my life, I have always loved music. It has helped me through the rough times, and made me even happier during the good times. I feel that music is like a friend that is always there for you. I have compiled a list of a few songs that have inspired me and stood out throughout my life. It was very hard to narrow this list down to 14 because if I could have chosen, it would have been 100 songs. I just love music. Well anyways, here it is: MY annotated mixtape!

01. “Dear Prudence” by The Beatles

When I was a little baby, my mom had a Beatles tape that she would play every night for me as I went to sleep. One of my first memories was when I was laying in my bed, and this song was playing. The only way I know it is because I remember hearing “…won’t you come out to play?” I loved the Beatles growing up, and I would like to thank my mom for that.

02. “MMMBop” by Hanson

My first tape was Hanson. I loved this song and the boys. They were my first crushes, especially the younger one. One time that I remember this song was significant to me was when I was 6 or something like that. I had just learned to ride my bike without training wheels. I fell, and came in crying. My mom played this song for me, and it inspired me to get back on my bike again. It is pretty cheesy, but it worked.

.03 “Clocks” by Coldplay

I first heard this song on the trailer for Peter Pan, and as soon as I heard it, I searched for it on the Internet. I fell in love with the piano. I used to listen to this song on repeat. For some reason, it made me want to fall in love so bad.

.04 “Amazing, Because it is” by The Almost

This was an important song in my life. There was a period of time in my life when I was just confused about religion. As much as I hated it, I would doubt God’s existence. My friend told me about this band, and gave me a copy of their CD Southern Weather. I didn’t really listen to it, but one day, this song was playing in her car. I suddenly stopped doubting God in my life, and realized that this was Him calling me back.

.05 “Hands Down” by Dashboard Confessional

I always think about my first boyfriend whenever I hear this song. I used to be obsessed with it. When we broke up, I would not let myself listen to it because it reminded me of him. It’s all pretty silly now that I think about it, but at the time, it was important to me.

.06 “Friends” by Michael W. Smith

This song could probably easily make me cry. In the summer of 2007, a family that was very close to mine had to move away to Atlanta due to their dad losing his job. It was a terrible experience for both sides. We made a video that went along with this song and watched it with them before they left. There wasn’t a dry face in my house. The video still makes us all cry.

.07 “Good’s All in Your Head” by Mates of State

Back in the beginning of my junior year of high school, I was always so happy. I used to listen to this song in my car on the way to school, especially if I wasn’t in a good mood. Every time I hear this song, I think of back then because everything was just so easy, and I pretty much did whatever I wanted, to an extent. I remember feeling like that would last forever.

.08 “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd

There was a period of time in my life where all I listened to was Pink Floyd. I thought that they were really cool and just different from the mainstream stuff that everyone else was listening to. This was my favorite by them, and still is. It is also the first song that I learned to play on guitar.

.09 “High Together” by Shwayze

I’m not too proud of what this song reminds me of, but it is a song that I always used to sing with my best friends back when we used to smoke pot. I don’t do it anymore, but it definitely brings back hilarious memories from all of the weird stuff that we did together.

.10 “The Adventure” by Angels and Airwaves

I listened to this song all of the time during this past summer. It described it perfectly. My favorite part was when it said, “life’s waiting to begin.” I liked it because it was true since I was about to be starting on my new adventure in college, but right then, I was just having fun and waiting.

.11 “Amsterdam” by Coldplay

This song reminds me of this summer also, but more towards the end. I got into some trouble, and I felt like my life was going to be over, especially with my boyfriend. My parents wanted me to never speak to him again, and I was completely devastated because he was also a great friend of mine. It was a very depressing time.

.12 “Going Away to College” by Blink-182

The title should give the significance of this song away. The song is actually about a guy and his girlfriend that he has to leave behind because he’s going to college. The song basically consists of the couple keeping in touch throughout the process. The song matched my boyfriend and I perfectly, except it was opposite because I was the one leaving for college, and he was left back in high school. The song always reminded me of him.

.13 “Be Somebody” by Kings of Leon

This song definitely is not one of my favorites by Kings of Leon, but it is kind of noteworthy to me because as my parents were taking me to Tech on move-in day, I was listening to my iPod in the back. When we were getting off onto the entrance for Tennessee Tech, this song began to play. I thought that it was pretty cool because the gist of the song is pretty much to “be somebody,” and that was definitely what I needed at the time because I was pretty intimidated at the sound of being on my own with people I had never met before.

.14 “Bittersweet Symphony” by The Verve

I figured this would be a good final song to my mixtape to my life. Life is basically a bittersweet symphony. There are ups and downs, good times and bad times, and everything in between. I think that life is really weird because we’re all just here doing our own thing, trying to be successful, famous, popular, smart, or whatever else it is that someone wants to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment